Pages

2009/01/28

President Super(Oba)man

I was writing more often before I went to California for Christmas, but since I have been back, I just have not known where to start. Not that matters as pretty much nobody looks at this blog (mostly because nobody knows about this blog). So, Barack Obama has won the presidency and despite my difference in political opinion and theory, I am glad to see a black president. What I find hilarious is the extensive coverage that Obama has received in comic books. Now don't get me wrong, I do not oppose this form a legal or "fairness" standard. Unlike proponents of the Fairness Doctrine, I believe that private enterprises have the right to promote or oppose and political view, opinion, or candidate that they wish. I personally may make decisions about whether to support that business accordingly, but it is their right. So here are some of the Obamania that has appeared in many comics.

Savage Dragon's author decided to support Obama on its cover a few months ago.
I don't actually read Savage Dragon, but I was aware of this cover when it came out.

I do enjoy reading, however, MARVEL Comics, and Spider-Man also featured an Obama cover and a back up story in which Chameleon tried to pose as Obama. Fortunately Spider-Man and Obama were able to break through the disguise and save the day before Obama was sworn into office. Thankfully, Obama (and most likely Chief Justice John Roberts) managed to get the oath right in the comic book.Man, Obama is soooo cool! Who else would fist-bump with Spider-Man?

Finally, we have DC Comics. There is no indication that this is meant to be Obama, but I think that there is strong indication that it very well could be. We have T-shirts being sold with the logo at the top of the post and now we have a black president taking off his shirt and showing that he is Superman.Again, I am not complaining about this--it is entirely their prerogative, but I do think that it is a little comical (no pun intended). Enjoy the photos!

No comments: