Pages

2010/02/02

Sarah Palin's Comments Are Retarded!

"Rahm is known for his caustic, crude references about those with whom he disagrees, but his recent tirade against participants in a strategy session was such a strong slap in many American faces that our president is doing himself a disservice by seeming to condone Rahm’s recent sick and offensive tactic,"

Let me start by saying that I like Palin. I think she is the kind of politician that I can get behind. I am not someone who thinks that you have to be super intelligent to be a political leader. What I want is someone is has principles and stands by those principles. Sarah Palin is that type of politician; she fought her own party and stood strong for what she believes in. That being said, I cannot stand her recent comments and actions with respect to what Rahm Emanuel said.

For those who are not aware (and are too lazy to click on the link that I provided above), let me explain. In a non-public meeting with Democrats, Rahm Emanuel commented that the idea of some to go after their own party's moderates was "f---ing retarded." Palin responded to Emanuel's comments by deriding him for making a "slur on all God's children with cognitive and developmental disabilities" and calling for his stepping down as President Obama's Chief of Staff. With all due respect to Sarah Palin and recognizing that she has a child with down syndrome and thus has a natural sensitivity to such words, she is out of her mind (dare I say...retarded)!

I CANNOT stand how insensitive people are today. Now had this been a public speech or such, I can understand the Special Olympics or other advocacy groups for the disabled issuing a public statement against his use of the word "retarded" as a derogative expression. But, I am so sick of politicians taking advantage of simple (though perhaps careless) word choices by politicians of the opposing political party. Whether it is Harry Reid using the term "Negro" (innocuously, I might add) or Emanuel using "retarded" in a derogatory way, we need to get past such petty arguments and debate the real issues. There are more than enough reasons to disagree with Reid and Emanuel, Sarah's attacking Emanuel on this was just dumb. ("At 5:10pm on February 2, 2010, a spokesperson for http://twistedmindofaaron.blogspot.com issued an apology for the blogger's harmful and insensitive use of the word 'dumb' without considering the needs and feelings of those citizens unable to speak. He hopes they will accept the apology.")

No comments: