So, I was reading this article this morning (Prop 8 - Death Knell for GOP?) and a few things came to mind. First of all, I am continually amazed when Proposition 8 opposition forces talk about the drastic and horrible consequences that will come to the supporters. I really do wonder if they realize that the measure PASSED? Clearly more people supported the proposition than opposed it yet, somehow, those who supported it are going to suffer and be ostracized from society. I don't know. It seems like the LDS Church will receive a boon from the support, especially from mainstream (not left-wing) Christians. I mean, how many gays would have liked the church before the measure passed? Had they asked the gay community what they thought of the Mormons before Proposition 8, they would have said that we are bigots. So, now they are yelling that we are bigots. The decibel, not the message, is all that has changed.The other aspect of this article that is funny is it mentioning of the fact that the uneducated were far more likely to vote for it (62%) than vote against it (43%). This brings up two thoughts. The first is that being as almost ALL universities are strongly, strongly, strongly liberal, couldn't it be that the reason that so many "educated" opposed it was that they went to liberal universities and attended liberal sociology classes taught by liberal hippies and were "taught" that, in addition to sucking, Americans are bigoted, racist, sexist, greedy imperialists and that only by opposing the right wing of America can America be saved.
The other aspect of the uneducated argument is that Mormons, on the whole, are more likely to have received a higher education (Education, Scholarship, and Mormonism) and that those who do have more education, attend church more, and thus would more likely support Proposition 8.
Oh well, the Proposition 8 fight is far from over and who knows what the liberal legal community will do with it. No doubt, interpret it according to tried and true Constitutional principles ("Living Constitution"... what does that even mean?).
1 comment:
I also think it's hilarious that a lot of other Christian churches have commercials on TV saying that they won't "reject" anyone and show a gay couple meeting with a priest. Obviously they were trying to imply that we are evil for not accepting gay marriage as a norm but they are "good" because they won't turn away gays and lesbians. I think it's annoying how people think that just because we object same-sex marriage, we hate gays and lesbians. I also think that it's interesting how they try to change God's law just a little bit to make it more convenient for them to attract people to come to church. A lot of these churches are driven by money, not by God's principles because they're simply unappealing to a lot of people. Just sad.
Post a Comment